Friday, September 30, 2011

What I do all day long

Change is in the air. Lately, the mornings have been cool with a little breeziness. It has been just what I needed. It reminds me that this segment of my life will NOT go on forever. It has been very lonely around here - I fill in where I can. And I have probably grown much closer to my mother-in-law and my family than I would have if I were living on my own. But, it's still not fun. God created me to be my husband's helpmate. It's hard to feel like I'm "helping" much when I never see him.

I vow to make the most of this season of our lives, though. It has been a very good time of drawing close to my Savior! And I have been involved in a food bank ministry of sorts. Our church is searching for a new place to meet while the school we lease gets renovated - this means that I can't dive in fully, yet. But, once we know what we're doing, perhaps this passion of mine will take off. Wednesday was the last day I could glean from the Kirkland Farmer's Market, bringing fresh fruits and veggies to the church office on Thursday morning. That has benefitted many people and it's a huge blessing to see God work in that way - produce that could have easily been thrown away. God speaks through satisfied bellies.

On a totally different note, I picked up an old Bible that I brought to PCC (Pensacola Christian College) with me in '06. Inside, I had scribbled a few quotes from one of the men who would speak on Sundays (a required church - no, I could not go into the community to choose a church).

1) "MySpace - You should hang a sign saying, 'Dirt for Sale', because that's what it is."
2) "Television is a sewage pipe from hell right in your own living room."
3) We choose to hang out with lousy friends and listen to garbage music - it's a choice."

In case you hadn't noticed, I don't really agree with anything he said. I'm not such a huge TV fan, but not because I believe it's a sewage pipe STRAIGHT FROM HELL. It just doesn't have much shininess to me. I'd rather be exercising, cooking, or in community. Just in case you were wondering what in the HECK I do all day long, as one of my patients asked me when I told them I don't watch TV. Shocking, I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment