Saturday, September 24, 2011

Love

Listening to Coffee with the Coaches on 820AM KGNW - My darling friend, Suzette Parker is a gem and such a smart lady! I love her!

Missing my husband, who's across the state from me. Can't wait to see him next weekend!

I'm thinking about relationships - the give and take. On the radio show this morning, an email that was read said "People who are 'fixers' are just natural encouragers, and they actually have the obligation to help those less fortunate." Suzette and Laurie responded with giggles, as though they had heard this many times before. It brought to mind a situation that went on for years (and has just recently been somewhat resolved, I think), in which someone who offered their advice to us would not relent, continually making this topic a big deal, even after the action had already been taken. The unwillingness of the other party to apologize for their part in the struggle, despite our laying down our pride and apologizing many times (from what I can tell, a very genuine apology on Cameron's part, and certainly genuine on mine) has caused very deep hurt. Much greater hurt than if the struggle would have ended as soon as the action had been taken. I have also found with my friends and loved ones that continuing to disprove of their actions after the fact has no good effects.

Let me clarify: I may not agree with the decisions my friends/family have made, but regardless, I must continue to love them and serve them. I may not want to serve in a way that encourages them to continue making poor decisions (defined as those that adversely affect their life, such as being in an abusive relationship or choosing alcohol/drugs to fill a void), so in that light, my 'service' is more limited. However, I am still called to show Christ's love, which He demonstrated to the least of these.

Galatians 5:13-14 , "For you were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. For the whole Law is fulfilled in one word, in the statement, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.'" That last statement, the 2nd greatest commandment, is the most frequently quoted Old Testament text (Leviticus 19:18) in the New Testament. That says volumes. Furthermore, I am 'fulfilling' the Mosaic Law by loving my neighbor. May I remember this in the following week.

No comments:

Post a Comment