Thursday, August 18, 2011

Community

Can I tell you about our community? In most cases, we live at least 30-40 minutes drive from any of these people, but we are as close as ever in spirit. Twice a week, Cameron and I get the pleasure of sharing their company. Corporately, on Sundays, we meet at Rose Hill Junior High School in Kirkland for service at 10AM. It is early, for me (a night owl by career, not choice), but so delightful!

On Wednesdays, we meet as a small group at our friend, Liz's house in Woodinville. There are usually 10-15 of us. We chat for awhile, talking about our lives and our needs. We lift each other up in prayer. Then we talk about whichever book we have been reading throughout the week (right now, Francis Chan's 'Crazy Love'). We always end with good food and lots more talking. This group of people is incredible! I am constantly amazed at the fervor they have for life, serving others, and honoring our great God! I leave every Wednesday night with a new fire in my heart (Cameron can attest to this - while he's been at school, he hasn't had much of a support group in Cheney and I sometimes exhaust him with my energy over the phone).

Our pastor, Dave, just told us that approximately 40% of the student population at the school where we meet will be on reduced or free lunches this upcoming schoolyear. Because of that, we are trying to collect money for some grocery gift cards for these families. This spurred a thought in my mind - why can't we directly provide the food and meet some of these people? I always prefer to see where my money is going. So, I hopped online and found an organic farm in Puyallup, Mother Earth Farm (http://www.efoodnet.org/Page11.aspx), which supplies food banks and hungry families with fresh produce. It also provides educational opportunities for schoolchildren in the planting season. I am hoping to serve there soon, harvesting some of the late summer crop. Maybe this will even turn into an opportunity to bring food back for the people in my local community. If anyone is interested in serving with me, please comment or contact me. Serving together is such a great way to get to know one another!

No comments:

Post a Comment